This quarter, I contributed capital funds in the amount of $12,500 to DivGro, including one bonus deposit of $5,000. Dividend income in Q1 totaled $580.67, down slightly from $586.74 received in Q4-2013. This is the first decrease in quarterly dividends for DivGro. I'm not concerned about that, as there is no fundamental change that caused the decrease. Some stocks (CHL, NTT, SNP) pay dividends semi-annually rather than quarterly, so total quarterly dividends wouldn't necessary increase every quarter.
I added four dividend growth stocks and removed one dividend growth stock in Q1-2014. Projected annual dividend income increased from $2,864.94 to $3,508.43, an increase of 22.45%.
|Dec 31, 2013||
|Mar 31, 2014||
In the quarter ending March 2014, the Dow Jones Industrial Average decreased by 0.72% while the S&P 500 increased by 1.30%. In comparison, DivGro's value increased by 1.63% (when measured by internal rate of return (IRR) for Q1-2014).
At the end of Q1-2014, DivGro's market value of $88,820 represented a simple return of 12.43% on $79,000 invested. Of course, the simple return does not take into account the timing and size of cash deposits as IRR does. DivGro's IRR since inception is 25.11%.
Here is a spreadsheet summarizing DivGro's performance for Q1-2014:
- New buys MO, JNJ, APU, and MDP added $721.55 in projected annual dividend income.
- The sale of SJR subtracted $115.50 in projected annual dividend income.
- ETP increased its distribution to 92¢ per unit, an increase of 1.66%. The dividend increase adds $6.00 to DivGro's projected annual dividend income. Yield on Cost (YoC) of ETP is now 7.76%.
- PRE's regular quarterly dividend payment was increased by 4.69%, from 64¢ to 67¢ per share. DivGro's projected annual dividend income is raised by $3.24 and YoC for PRE is now 2.92%.
- NU now pays 39.25¢ per share, an increase of 6.8 percent increase over NU’s previous quarterly dividend payment. The increase adds $6 to DivGro's projected annual dividend income. YoC for NU is now 3.83%.
- GD increased its dividend by 10.71% to 62¢ per share, raising DivGro's projected annual dividend income by $8.40. YoC for GD is now 3.67%.
- VNR declared a new distribution of 21¢ per unit, an increase of 1.2%. This raises DivGro's projected annual dividend income by $5.40. YoC for VNR is now 8.95%.
- Total for Q1 of 2014: $580.67 (down from $586.74 for Q4 of 2013)
- Total year-to-date: $580.67
Outlook For Q2-2014: I'm planning to continue diversifying DivGro's holdings across the sectors in my watch list, which is one of my goals for 2014. At the end of Q2-2014, I'll report on progress toward achieving these goals, as that would mark the half-way point.